Today's interview is with Misti from The Murphy Studio.
1. Why do you do what you do? I paint to see people’s expressions when they see my animal paintings. It’s very rewarding to see their response, especially after they have lost an animal that was close to their heart. It’s like they see them again for the first time!
It’s also a relaxing pastime that allows me to have “alone” time away from the hustle and bustle of real life.
2. How long have you been selling online? Why did you start? I started selling online this year. Actually, this year I began painting again after 20 years. I was so focused on my career that I lost track of the hobby I truly love – painting. My sister encouraged me to start painting due to the economy, and to try to sell online since she had a store on ArtFire.
3. What's your inspiration? Animals are my inspiration. I love seeing their little faces come to life in two dimensional form. Currently, I have four dogs and two cats (don’t ever take me to PetsMart – I always come home with an animal from FAIR or the Humane Society)!
4. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I started painting when I was 10, and always loved animals. I thought I wanted to be a Veterinarian, but when I realized you were treating SICK animals, I realized that I would not be able to handle it emotionally. I’m too attached to the one’s I have – and when they hurt, I hurt.
5. Do you have a day job?
Yes, I own a residential architectural design firm. I design custom homes, remodels, additions, etc.
6. What advice would you give to someone who just started selling online?
Promote as much as you can. Stand behind your product and BELIEVE in your craft! Sales will come eventually!
Links to sites where you can Misti's fabulous items:
www.TheMurphyStudio.Art.com (I’m still working on setting up my Webpage)
www.TheMurphyStudio.com (Architectural Webpage)
http://themurphystudio.blogspot.com/ (I’m still working on setting up my blog)